American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification
This is a blended learning course. Participants must try out to enter the course. Once they pass the try-out, then they can do the 7 hours of course work online and 18 hours of practical skills on land and in the water. This course provides certification in Lifeguarding, First Aid, and CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer for 2 years.
We require a minimum of at least 4 participants to be able to run the course. Please register with the front desk or online prior to the tryout date. If a participant is unable to pass the tryout, their registration for the course will be refunded.
Everyone must try out to determine whether or not they qualify to take the course. Please register with the front desk prior to the tryout date. If a participant is unable to pass the tryout, their registration for the course will be refunded.
The try-out consists of:
- A 300-meter swim (front crawl or breaststroke)
- Treading water without using your hands for 2 minutes
- Dive to the bottom of the pool for a 10 pound brick, swim 15 meters on your back with the brick, and get out of the pool; all in under 1 minute and 40 seconds
To view a video example of the tryout, please click here.
Once you pass the try out, then you can begin the online course material.
Please contact the Aquatics Director, Mark Mellon, at 717-334-9171 ext. 129 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Upcoming Courses & Try Out Dates
Register online by Clicking Here
*April Class Re-Scheduled to May due to COVID-19 outbreak*
May 5, 7, & 8
- Tuesday, May 5, 3:00 pm – 9 pm
- Thursday, May 7, 3:00 pm – 9 pm
- Friday, May 8, 3:00 pm – 9 pm
Tryouts: May 1st @ 3:30 pm
May 12, 14, & 15
- Tuesday, May 12, 3:00 pm – 9 pm
- Thursday, May 14, 3:00 pm – 9 pm
- Friday, May 15, 3:00 pm – 9 pm
Tryouts: May 6th @ 3:30 pm
Steps to Successfully Passing the Course
- Complete the tryout session.
- Finish all online course work.
- Attend all class sessions.
- Pass the rescue scenarios and written exam on the last day of class.