American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification
This is a blended learning course. Participants must try out to enter the course. Once they pass the try-out, then they can do the 7 hours of course work online and 20 hours of practical skills on land and in the water. This course provides certification in Lifeguarding, First Aid, and CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer for 2 years.
Register online: https://payments.ywcagettysburg.org/
Everyone must try out to determine whether or not they can take the class.
The try-out consists of:
- A nonstop 300-meter swim (front crawl / freestyle / or breast stroke)
- Tread water without your hands for 2 minutes
- Dive for a 10 pound brick, swim 15 meters on your back with it, and get out of the pool in under 1 minute and 40 seconds
If you pass the try-out, then you can enter the Lifeguard course.
Please contact Cora Rhoads at 717-334-9171 ext. 129 or by email at email@example.com to set up a pre-course try-out appointment.
Upcoming Courses & Try Out Dates
The dates here are correct. The dates in the printed Yworks booklet were from an instructor that is no longer going to teach. We didn’t learn about that change until after the books had been printed.
July Class: *Revised Dates & Times*
Try Out: July 5th at 9:30 a.m.
Class Times: July 8, 9 & 10, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Try Out: None
Class Times: Cancelled
Steps to Successfully Passing the Course
- Read the lifeguard manual.
- Finish all online course work.
- Attend all class days.
- Pass the written exams and rescue scenarios on the last day of class.